Ward brings over 30 years of professional experience in classical performing arts. As an artistic director and conductor of a major U. S. opera company, he programmed and cast over 70 main stage productions, as well as leading members of the Kansas City Symphony in the pit for many of them.
He developed and enhanced all aspects of the production, including chorus, guest artists, directors and designers. Together with his full time production staff he produced 17 seasons with ongoing budgetary fiscal responsibility.
He has combined his wide-ranging musical interests with a passion for the digital world, resulting in the creation of Holmquist Consulting LLC. In this arena he he advises clients on how to create and enhance their digital presence, and also trains them in the programs they wish to use themselves.
His own work includes website design and coding, photography and video (headshots and studio "explainer" videos), as well as interactive mobile platforms.
The worldwide artistic collaboration now made simple by the Internet energizes him to use the new media created by digital artists and artisans for broader practical as well as artistic purposes. Check out his website.
|2015 -||CEO, Holmquist Consulting LLC - Kansas City, MO
· Creation of full spectrum digital presentation and communication media for entrepreneurs and small business, client training
· Not-for-profit consultant
|1998 – 2015||Artistic Director, Lyric Opera of Kansas City - Kansas City, MO
· Ongoing major innovations in performance quality and national prominence
· Steady and stable company growth throughout tenure—doubling of company budget
· Fiscal responsibility—no financial loss seasons
|1995 – 1998||Assistant Professor (tenure track), University of Southern California - Los Angeles, CA
· Instructed 30-40 graduate and undergraduate students in all aspects of operatic study and training
· Music director for at least two full scale opera productions per year
|1984 – 1995||Resident Conductor, Houston Grand Opera - Houston, TX
· Rose to position of Resident Conductor through young artist training program, followed by rapid ascent on full time staff. Conducted performances or productions of over 20 operas, including main stage world premiere. Collaborated with numerous living composers.
|Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst – Vienna, Austria
Music, University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign – Champaign, IL
Music (Piano, Conducting), Oberlin Conservatory of Music – Oberlin, OH
|Active practitioner with wide range of digital tools and skills, including database creation and financial analysis, coding, website creation, social media and marketing, digital photography and video creation and editing|
|Married to Julie Ungashick Holmquist – one stepdaughter|